- How has a Dunker BG motor to be connected to a maxon ESCON or EPOS controller?
- What configuration is required to operate the Dunker BG motor?
The Dunker motor (e.g. BG65, BG75) is a brushless DC motor with multiple pole pairs (typ. 10 poles = 5 pole pairs). The following points have to be considered for wiring and configuration.
- You have to ensure that the wiring of the motor's winding phases, hall sensors signal lines, and hall sensor power is assigned like shown in the following table:
Coil A (blue)
Motor winding 1
Coil B (white)
Motor winding 2
Coil C (grey)
Motor winding 3
*Hall S1 (yellow)
Hall sensor 1
*Hall S2 (green)
Hall sensor 2
*Hall S3 (brown)
Hall sensor 3
Hall Vcc (red)
Vcc Hall 5V
Hall GND (black)
*Hall S1, S2, S3:
Because of the different definition of the Hall sensor polarity of the Dunker motor the Hall sensor signals have to be inverted. This inverting can be easily configured by the "Startup Wizard" of EPOS Studio resp. ESCON Studio.
Important: Pin Assignment & cable colours!
Please check the cable colours and naming based on Dunker's data sheet. maxon cannot take any warranty that the provided information above is still valid. The cable, pin assignment (and technical data as well) might be subject to change by the motor manufacturer! maxon does not take any liability in case of a damage due to a wrong wiring based on the table above.
Specific controller parameter settings:
Use the "Startup" wizard of ESCON Studio resp. EPOS Studio to configure the motor and sensor parameters:
- Motor data / "Pole pair number" = 5
The value of 5 is valid for the BG65 and BG75 motor line. Other BG motor lines might have a different pole pair number. Please check the pole pair number by the motor data sheet or ask Dunker about it.
Number of poles <-> Pole Pair number?
Please note that the pole pair number has to be configured. There might be the number of poles specified by the data sheet sometimes. The number of poles has to be divided by 2 to get the "Pole pair number" then.
The "Pole pair number" can be evaluated by ESCON Studio's "Diagnostics" tool.
- Sensor / "Polarity of Hall sensors": Inverted
The polarity of the hall sensors has to be configured as "Inverted" by the corresponding dialogue field of the Startup wizard.
Dunker's brushless DC motors can be controlled by the maxon EPOS or ESCON controllers. It is just required to ...
- ... connect the windings and hall sensors properly.
- ... configure the correct "Pole pair number" (= 5 in case of BG65, BG75).
- ... configure an inverted "Hall sensor polarity".